Tuesday, April 16, 2013

One of the items on the list which sparked curiosity in some of my readers was in finding a mentor.

I've had a look at a lot of definitions of a mentor and what they should be or have. Some of the items/descriptions i like are:

-A mentor is someone who inspires you
-A mentor should have experience in the field or specialty in which you work, or aspire to work.
-Choose a mentor who is local or nearby, if possible, and ideally someone in your organization.
-Find a mentor who has a good balance of similarities and differences compared to your strengths and weaknesses.
-Having a mentor doesn’t have to be a formal arrangement.

In my research for this some people told me about their mentors. I realised that this search for me was perhaps more for a professional mentor, rather than someone to guide and advise in my personal and spiritual life.

I've thought a lot about this and realized that with the above criteria, I already have someone who acts as my mentor. There is someone I used to work with this person and we meet regularly for coffee to discuss what's going on (we're still in the same industry), challenges I face both in my career and in how I feel about my job. As it says above, it's not a formal arrangement and it's only upon reflection that I realised this person is my mentor. What they've achieved is great - I really find them to be an inspiration. They have thus far provided me with good advice and asked the right questions when I've talked about my thoughts. It's beneficial to know that they've come from where I have (we started in similar places although years apart) and to know some doubts/thoughts, etc. are normal.

It's funny how you don't quite realize how some people fit into your life and the role they actually play. I feel quite blessed to have and know certain people. If there's any reflection I have had upon turning 30 it's how lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment