Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Helping a stranger isn't easy.

Over the last 75 days I've thought of a few things or tried to do some acts which I felt were me. I gave directions, let the tall guy next to me on my flight to the Hawkes Bay have the aisle, but all of them felt minor or little. I tried to help the guy in front of me who couldn't pay for the train because someone jammed the coin slot on the ticket machine, but he wouldn't take my $5 note to pay.

Much information, guidance and inspiration for all actions and items on on my 30 Before 30 list has come from the internet. When I saw an article about a random act of kindness by giving flowers I knew it was me.

I love flowers. And particularly getting them. Looking at them brightens my day and makes my soul smile. I feel special and loved and I realized to be able to give that feeling would be great.

I knew that my item for helping a stranger had to be to buy them flowers. I know it's not financial help and certainly won't change their lives, but making someone feel good helps them. It's the little things I think.

So, I spent my lunch hour on my birthday traveling to Auckland hospital. Armed with some bright pink gerbera daisies and the help of a volunteer I had the flowers go to someone who needed some brightness. The weather in Auckland this week has been cold, grey and rainy so I'm hoping these flowers brought a smile and some cheer to someone who needed it.

For those in the US, I also found this charity, Random Acts of Flowers (http://www.randomactsofflowers.org) who does this on a regular basis if you want to support this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment